In 1946, the Camp Roxas Chapel was graced with three religious icons to serve the Catholic Camp Roxas residents: a Sacred Heart of Jesus statue, a wooden crucifix, and a statue of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.
In 1952, the Camp Roxas residents began holding a procession in honor of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal in their Agat, Guam, compound.
Long after Camp Roxas had closed, former Camp Roxas resident Johnny Luces was serving as an altar boy at the Naval Hospital chapel and noticed the two statues resting on the chapel's floor. Johnny Luces asked Father Grieco for him to take care of them, if they're not needed at the chapel. Father Grieco agreed.
The religious icons have been gracing the Agat home of Johnny and Aida Luces since that fateful day.
They have also helped hold novenas and processions in honor of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.
Today, the Mount Carmel Church in Agat has a permanent home of a five-foot statue of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal.
The Mount Carmel Church still holds an annual celebration of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal signifying that this religious icon has a heart in this southern village, where the Camp Roxas residents began their life in Guam. - From Camp Roxas Exhibit, Hall of Governors, Latte of Freedom, Adelup, Guam
Under the American Sun (Camp Roxas Film Project), Bernie Provido Schumann, P.O. Box 5307, Hagatna, GU 96932
Artifacts from Camp Roxas Chapel were graciously loaned to the Guam Museum by Johnny and Aida Luces for the Camp Roxas Exhibit at the Hall of Governors in Adelup to commemorate Philippine Independence Month. - Photo by Under the American Sun (Camp Roxas Film Project)
Closeup of Camp Roxas artifacts display - Photo by Under the American Sun (Camp Roxas Film Project)